A massive two and a half storey building at the corner of K. Donelaičio str. and A. Mickevičiaus str. catches the eye – it is known historically as the First Chamber of the University of Lithuania.
On February 16, 1922 University of Lithuania was established in Kaunas on the basis of Higher Courses.
On March 24, 1922 Constituent Assembly of Lithuania confirmed the Statute of the University of Lithuania and since that year the building was the main and only Chamber of the University for five years (until 1927).
In 1927 it was renamed as the First Chamber. Rector’s Office, the Faculty of Law, and classrooms of Faculties of Mathematics and Natural Sciences were located here. The building has a Great Hall of the University (Aula) where University’s and Senate’s celebratory meetings still take place.
One can literally feel the spirit of science and culture at KTU Faculty of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, as from the very beginning it was the most important centre of Lithuanian intellectual and cultural life. Zigmas Žemaitis, Jonas Gudaitis-Vabalas, Petras Leonas, Petras Šalčius, Vladas Jurgutis, Augustinas Janulaitis, Teodoras Daukantas and other society‘s intellectuals created, worked, and taught here.